Sunday 13 July 2008
Jill Kismet is a dealer in dark things and a demon slayer and it is her job to patrol the Nightside. Called out to the aftermath of a very bloody attack where 5 cops were killed and one is left fighting for his life, Jill assesses the situation and picks up the stench of something she would rather not smell.

A hellbreed and something else are working together and things are dangerous. Jill is the best there is and knows where to go and who to ask for information. So when some weres turn up giving her more help than she wants things turn into a game of cat and mouse. The big questions that needs to be asked is who is the mouse in this game? Is it Jill?

Night Shift is the first in a new series by Lilith Saintcrow and I am relieved to say that it was brilliant. I first found this author through her Dante Valentine series which I seriously got hooked on from book one but then found annoying by the time book 3 came along and gave up on it. Hopefully this series will not go the same way because this one is different and (literally) bloody good.

Jill rocks and is extremely hard. I can't wait to see what the author does with this character because the ending left things looking extremely interesting. Hunter's Prayer, book number two in the series, is thankfully due out next month so the wait is short (kudos for that!) and it is already on pre-order!

Dark, bloody and Urban Fantasy at its best this is not for the weak hearted but for the hardcore paranormal genre readers out there who like something with a little more edge and alot more kicking than kissing. Jill Kismet is here and hopefully she is here to stay.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Unknown at Sunday, July 13, 2008 |


5 Comments:


At 13 July 2008 at 10:02, Anonymous Anonymous

I'm so with you on the Dante series. I loved the first book and liked the second book, but for some reason, I couldn't get into the third one and ended up putting it down before I got through the first chapter.

 

At 13 July 2008 at 11:58, Blogger Kimberly Swan

I didn't get to the last book in the Dante Valentine series and I haven't had a chance to pick this up yet. :( Is there no romance in this one?

 

At 13 July 2008 at 13:47, Blogger Unknown

@ Jackie - I am glad I am not the only one!!! I really thought there must be something wrong with me to suddenly go off the series. I really forced myself to finish book #3 and hoped #4 would be better but I couldn't get into it at all.

@ Kimberly - There is a little pinch of romance (and a mean a pinch) and the ending leaves the promise of more romance to come.

 

At 14 July 2008 at 00:04, Blogger Ladytink_534

I think I've read a short story by her before and liked it. If I'm not mistaken, it's from this series too.

 

At 14 July 2008 at 01:39, Blogger Unknown

She has a few different things out there. Her most famous is the Dante Valentine series but I haven't got my hands on anything else yet. They are a bit more expensive and harder to find.

 






Free Website Counter;
Free Website Counter

 Subscribe in a reader





users online