Sunday 1 February 2009
This weekend I have two author interviews and contests for you! The first interview and contest with author C. A. Milson is already live so make sure you go over there and take a look!

My second is with Sharon Ashwood whose debut book, Ravenous, is released this week. I have had the pleasure of reading the book and you can read my review here. So get to know a new paranormal author and enter the contest and you may win a copy of this new book!

---------------------------

Amber - Welcome to Amberkatze's book blog! Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Maybe you can start things off by telling us a bit about your debut book 'Ravenous'.

Sharon - Ravenous is set in Fairview, a modern university town where supernatural creatures walk openly among us, holding jobs, paying taxes, and keeping their more, um, traditional pursuits off the media radar. Holly Carver, who busts ghosts for tuition money, learns she has the magic to control a portal to a demon realm. Suddenly the delicate balance between humans and the bump-in-the-night crew starts coming unglued.

Suddenly, Holly's on everyone's "must have" list, and not in a good way. Her Undead business partner, Alessandro Caravelli, wants to protect her. With six centuries of romantic experience, the vampire is walking seduction. The
down side? He's also a dangerous predator-and he's in a world of trouble himself.

Amber - How did you come up with the idea for Ravenous? Was it a long process or something that just came to you one day?

Sharon - It started as a joke. A friend and I were talking about insurance adjusters, and the conversation went downhill to the realm of the ridiculous. By the end of the conversation, I had created a witch who busted ghosts and verified paranormal insurance claims. From there, it just kept growing.

Amber - What was the easiest and what was the hardest part of Ravenous to write?

Sharon - The easy part was ordering a beer and telling my friends what a genius I am. The hard part was putting my backside in a chair and doing the work!

The comic scenes came easily, although they sometimes they took the most fine tuning. Scenes with a lot of choreography-battles, for instance-are a pain. I end up with diagrams to keep everything straight. I'd never make a military general--I'd have everyone marching the wrong way!

Amber - Ravenous is the first in the series. How many books will there be in the series and when is the next part due out?

Sharon - The series is called The Dark Forgotten. The second is due to be released in late 2009 and is tentatively called Scorched. How far it goes beyond that depends on how successful the first ones are. In other words, dear readers, here's your opportunity to a) vote me off Author Island or b) tell the publisher you want more!

Amber - Ravenous is definitely aimed for the paranormal shelves but there is a lot of romance and some horror in there. Which genre were you aiming for? Did you always want to write something for this genre?

Sharon - I hate defining genres too precisely, because there are so many passionate opinions around what terms like "urban fantasy" or "steampunk" mean. Debates like that aren't my thing. I leave such weighty matters to the professors of tomorrow.

If cornered, I'd say this book ranges between urban fantasy and paranormal romance, and that's pretty much what I wanted it to do. I craved the atmosphere, imagination and action of UF with the emotional satisfaction of a strong romance. Why let a dangerous vampire in black leather go to waste?

The dash of horror crept in because it's one of my great loves, and I wanted a spooky tone in certain scenes. This isn't a horror book--it's darkish but not that dark-I can't stop the jokes that long. Besides, I like a happy ending. Otherwise, my characters would just keep whining at me.

Hero: Whaaaaa, I didn't get the girl, whaaaaaaa.
Author: Yeah, whatever. Vampires are such weenie drama queens.

Amber - What made you start writing? Did you always want to write? Any other interesting jobs you have had?

Sharon - I've written off and on since I was a child. I think my parents encouraged me because it was a quiet activity and they could get something done if I was busy with a pen and paper.

I wrote freelance articles for about ten years, but most of my breadwinning jobs haven't involved skill with words. I've always worked in administration, mostly as a civil servant, and most recently in finance. Yup, I'm a spreadsheet jockey. No wonder I have a rich fantasy life!

I'd have to say the most colorful job I've had was in a jail for young offenders. That taught me a lot about my own attitudes and assumptions. Most of all I realized how blessed a life I have.

Amber - Are you working on any other projects that you would like to tell us about? Any writing aims you hope to achieve?

Sharon - I want to tell my stories to as many people as possible! And it's easier to do it by selling books rather than locking the general public in a shopping mall and reading my manuscript over the loudspeaker.

My current work in progress is the Dark Forgotten series. I'm editing book two and writing a proposal for book three. I'm also fiddling with a very spooky historical novel about demons that I started a long time ago but got stuck on. The rest of the plot came to me around New Year's when I was waiting for my car to be serviced. Maybe I was so anxious about the repair bill I started having morbid fantasies.

Amber - When you have time to read what do you read? Any favourite authors/series?

Sharon - I read a wide variety of books, but mostly fiction with a paranormal element and non-fiction history. I just picked up the most recent Morganville book and I'm itching to start that. I also have the newest Laurell K. Hamilton - that was a Christmas present from Santa!

Amber - What are your favourite movies/Tv Series/music? Do any of them influence your writing?

Sharon - Hmm, let's see . . . Underworld, Supernatural, Buffy . nope, no influence there . I also love 24. That show has amazing plots. I should take notes to figure out how they do it!

I listen mostly to alternative and classical. One of my favourite groups is Qntal because I get the best of both worlds. I don't listen to music when I write but I do to get into the mood. The last draft of Ravenous was my Smashing Pumpkins book.

Amber - You are stuck on a desert island. What 5 things do you hope to have with you?

Sharon - I'd start with a satellite phone to call for help! My survival skills are limited to opening snack food bags with my teeth. On the other hand, if it was a very nice, resort-type desert island with all the important creature comforts like food, shelter, and a poolside bar, I'd be perfectly content with a couple good friends and a bottle of chardonnay.

Amber - Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! I hope you will stop by again sometime!

-------------------------------

Contest Time!

Sharon has nicely said she will send one lucky person a copy of Ravenous! How can you win?

Make a comment here letting me know what makes you ravenous?

No answer = No entry!

You can earn an extra entry by posting about this interview and contest somewhere on the net. Make sure you leave me a link so I can confirm your entry.

The contest is open until Sunday 8th of February at 4pm CET. All entrants should check in to see if they have won. I will pick a new winner if the prize is not claimed within 7 days and I do not chase winners!

Enjoy!

Labels: ,

 
posted by Unknown at Sunday, February 01, 2009 |


42 Comments:


At 1 February 2009 at 11:20, Blogger Carolyn Crane

First off, I see this cover everywhere, but I never really read about this book, and it sounds fabulous! I love books that hit that sweet spot between paranormal and UF, with a bit of humor. Sounds fun, and good for you, Sharon for working and being able to turn out a series on the side! Not easy.

Okay, what makes me ravenous: the SIGHT of cheese in the refrigerator! I am powerless to resist.

 

At 1 February 2009 at 11:23, Blogger Jackie Uhrmacher

This is my second try so far to win this book! I'm very intrigued by the concept.

What makes me ravenous? Coffee. Doesn't really matter what kind--as long as it's dark and full of caffeine, I'm drooling.

 

At 1 February 2009 at 12:35, Blogger samantha.1020

This does sound like a really good read! One thing that makes me ravenous is chocolate. Anything chocolate for that matter :) I'm addicted.

 

At 1 February 2009 at 12:50, Blogger cheesygiraffe

Cheese makes me ravenous. Imagine that.

 

At 1 February 2009 at 13:17, Blogger Cathy M

What makes me ravenous, is the smell of just baked cookies right out of the oven.

 

At 1 February 2009 at 13:31, Blogger Nancy

What makes me ravenous? The smell of movie popcorn, extra butter. :)

Amber, thank you for this interview with Sharon!

Sharon, huge congratulations on your debut, and may readers be ravenous for more and more in the series!

Light,
Nancy Haddock
La Vida Vampire
Last Vampire Standing

 

At 1 February 2009 at 13:51, Blogger Unknown

The smell of fresh-baked doughnuts, especially apple fritters; any Italian dish heavy on the garlic; waffles hot off the iron (which I cook at least twice a week for me and the kids); and burgers seering on the grill!

 

At 1 February 2009 at 14:27, Blogger Kimberly Swan

Fabulous interview! :)

(No entry for me, I'll be reviewing Ravenous this week)

 

At 1 February 2009 at 14:38, Blogger slayra

This book seems great! I love books with ghost hunters, mediums, etc, etc. ^__^

Ravenous, heh? Hmmm, I'd have to say... pizza! LOL I love pizza!

 

At 1 February 2009 at 15:27, Blogger Unknown

The book sounds like a "Must-have" for sure. I look forward to getting my hands on a copy!

What makes me ravenous? The 1st thing that popped into my mind was really slow cooked barbecue ribs with a wonderful honey type sauce. Just thinking of it makes my mouth water badly!! Time to go to Tony Roma's!!!

 

At 1 February 2009 at 16:45, Anonymous Anonymous

Great interview! I can't wait to read this book, it sounds awesome!
What makes me ravenous? Coffee and books. Srsly, just standing in the book store makes me vibrate with excitment...but then again it could be all that caffeine in my system. lol.

 

At 1 February 2009 at 17:08, Blogger Liviania

Your review made this book sound awesome!

And cheesecake makes me ravenous.

 

At 1 February 2009 at 19:05, Anonymous Anonymous

The smell of a freshly made pizza makes me absolutely ravenous! As a matter of fact just thinking about it makes me want to go out for a bite. I can't wait to get my hands on this book. It sounds fantastic! Thanks for holding the contest.

 

At 1 February 2009 at 19:07, Anonymous Anonymous

K, I'm hungry now....so many things! Ribs are awesome....warm krispy kreme donuts.....chocolate....hubby ;) lol
Great interview and congrats on your release!

 

At 1 February 2009 at 19:50, Blogger Kimberly B.

This sounds like such a terrific book! What makes me ravenous is the smell of the supermarket bakery--donuts and buttercream frosting, mmmm! They should bottle that as a perfume!

 

At 1 February 2009 at 19:55, Blogger Simply Stacie

I am ravenous for chocolate!! I could eat it everyday.

 

At 1 February 2009 at 20:02, Blogger Francine Anchondo

I would say hot wings make me ravenous. Thanks for the giveaway.

 

At 1 February 2009 at 20:31, Blogger donnas

Great interview. I have been reading about this book all month and I cant wait to actually get to read it.

The thing that makes me the most ravenous is chocolate cake. I cant resist.

 

At 1 February 2009 at 21:56, Blogger Carmen R

What makes me ravenous? A big juicy ribeye steak. Carnivore all the way baby. lol

 

At 1 February 2009 at 23:05, Blogger Jessa Slade

Opening snack bags with your teeth... Snork. Those plastic vampire fangs are great for so many things :)

As for me, tonight I ravenously devoured the last of a 9x13 pan of peppermint brownies. Yum.

 

At 1 February 2009 at 23:44, Blogger Dawn M.

Mmmmmm...fried chicken. I can never get enough of it. :0)

Thanks!

 

At 2 February 2009 at 05:37, Blogger Unknown

Hmm...I would have to say books. My husband says I have an addiction! LOL. But besides books, I'd have to say my Daughter. I can't seem to get enough of her! HEHE...Shes too cute! Love the cover BTW! Its great!

 

At 2 February 2009 at 07:19, Blogger Unknown

I would have to say my husband. He's amazing.

 

At 2 February 2009 at 07:20, Anonymous Anonymous

Pretty much anything my husband grills makes me ravenous. One, because I didn't have to do it myself and two, he's a great cook! And then like so many others here, chocolate, latte and good books! This one sounds scrumptious!

 

At 2 February 2009 at 08:20, Blogger Daelith

Thank you for the interview. I had to go check out Qntal. Found their myspace page to listen to some tracks of their music. Interesting. I like it.

Things that make me ravenous: Food wise - chocolate, especially Peanut M&Ms, garlic cheese toast, honey BBQ Fritos

Other things - books! Especially library sales. Browsing through tables and tables of books to see what hidden treasures await to be found. Especially when they're on my wish list.

 

At 2 February 2009 at 08:22, Blogger Annette McCleave

The smell of fresh baked bread works for me. Yum!

 

At 2 February 2009 at 09:22, Blogger Kim Lenox

Unfortunately, a good pizza makes me ravenous. I think vampires would certainly be better for my weight! Great interview!

 

At 2 February 2009 at 09:35, Anonymous Anonymous

brownies make me ravenous along with cheese cake and a new book to read!

 

At 2 February 2009 at 11:40, Anonymous Anonymous

Easy Mac and a good book make me ravenous. :)

Michelle,
wookieecookie7@sbcglobal.net

 

At 2 February 2009 at 12:13, Blogger Asylumgirl

I don't mean to sound crude, but during my visits from Aunt Flo, I'm ravenous. I could just about eat a horse, especially if it's covered in chocolate. LOL

Deidre

 

At 2 February 2009 at 13:39, Anonymous Anonymous

What makes me ravenous? The smell of spaghetti sauce simmering.

Thanks for entering me.

 

At 2 February 2009 at 21:00, Anonymous Anonymous

Hmm, it is a tie between freshly bake brownies and a fudge sundae. I really do have a sweet tooth.

Awesome interview and it sounds like a good read. I would definitely want to read it since I am a sucker for the paranormal.

Sue
okibi_insanity[at]yahoo[dot]com

 

At 2 February 2009 at 21:16, Blogger Pam P

Congrats on your debut, Sharon, already on my wishlist.

Just walking by a bakery with the delicous aromas every time the door opens draws me right in to taste, can't resist.

 

At 3 February 2009 at 09:01, Blogger tetewa

Mashed potatoes and gravy make me Ravenous!

 

At 3 February 2009 at 10:45, Blogger StyleVamp

A peanut Butter & Jelly sandwich with hot chocolate makes me Ravenous!! lol

 

At 3 February 2009 at 16:47, Anonymous Anonymous

well food wise it is brownies! YUM!!! Otherwise it is books! i cant get enough of them!

 

At 4 February 2009 at 11:29, Anonymous Anonymous

I posted the link for this interview and contest at my LJ here:
http://okibi-insanity.livejournal.com/3401.html#cutid1

Sue
okibi_insanity[at]yahoo[dot]com

 

At 5 February 2009 at 11:27, Anonymous Anonymous

What makes me ravenous? Border's coupons (especially the 30% ones with no strings attached). I get one of those coupons and payday or not, I'm at the bookstore.

 

At 5 February 2009 at 18:47, Blogger Donna

This book sound great and good interview.

Blue Bell Chocolate Chip Ice Cream & a good book = Ravenous

Blogged here

 

At 7 February 2009 at 02:48, Anonymous Anonymous

Cadbury's Wunderbar makes me ravenous!

Patricia
leve413[at]yahoo[dot]de

 

At 7 February 2009 at 21:17, Blogger Chris J.

This one sounds awesome and it is on the to get list! :)

As to what makes me Ravenous, it's a toss up between fresh bread and coffee. Smelling the bread bake and then biting into it while it's warm and buttery...Yummy. Then it's smelling the coffee brewing, then having it cold or hot anytime of day. Walking into a Subway gets me my bread fix and walking into a Starbucks for my coffee fix!

 

At 8 February 2009 at 04:54, Blogger James Rasmussen

I agree...the plot makes me ravenous to read more... ;)

I couldn't say that there was one single thing that made me ravenous...anything well crafted, be it culinary, literary or just generally creative can inspire that kind of appetite for more...

 






Free Website Counter;
Free Website Counter

 Subscribe in a reader





users online