Sunday 2 November 2008
To put an end to the Halloween weekend of events here on Amberkatze's Book Blog I have one last author interview to post. I am very honoured to have Award winning author Lori Handeland here as my guest! Her new book and first in a new series called Any Given Doomsday is due out this week! Her Nightcreature novels helped my book addiction evolve and if you haven't come across her work then I highly recommend that you rectify the situation ;)

Keep reading till the end because Lori is giving away a copy of her new book!

---------------------

Amber - Welcome to Amberkatze's Book Blog! I have been following your Nightcreature series since it started and can't wait to read your upcomming release. Maybe you can start things off by telling us a bit about 'Any Given Doomsday'?

Lori - The Phoenix Chronicles begins in Milwaukee—my hometown—and travels to many urban cities—New York, New Mexico, Detroit, Los Angeles. You see, the world is coming to an end and there are demons all over the place. Elizabeth Phoenix discovers that the Grigori, the fallen angels of Biblical Legend mated with humans and produced a legion of supernatural creatures known as the Nephilim. They’ve been here since the beginning of time, wearing human faces but beneath they are all the monsters of legend—vampires, shape shifters and more. There’s a secret society that fights them and she’s just been put in charge of everyone.

Amber - Any Given Doomsday sounds like it is going to be a great read. How does it differ to your Nightcreature novels?


Lori - The world of The Phoenix Chronicles is similar to my Nightcreature world in that I use supernatural elements and actual legends of other lands and cultures. There’s romance and action, snappy comebacks, both humor and horror, steamy sex and conflicting relationships.

However the Nightcreature Novels were romances. Each book had a heroine and a hero whose romantic story was resolved in that book along with a legendary mystery. Continuing characters, such as Edward Mandenauer, the leader of the Jager-Suchers, or Hunter-Searchers, strolled through each volume, but the story belonged to one hero and heroine.

The Phoenix Chronicles is Liz’s story and it continues from book to book. Liz has psychic abilities and her powers increase as time goes by. She is torn between two men. She loses people she loves and she meets new people, as well as un-people, with each subsequent book. Liz is like us, but she’s also very different. We want to be her—smart, savvy, funny, special—and then again, we don’t. Because in Liz’s world people die badly and she’s in charge of the ground troops.

Amber - What kind of research did you have to do for Any Given Doomsday?

Lori - I did a lot of research into Biblical Prophesy, Revelation, the Navajo, and scores of other ancient legends of every culture. It was fascinating.

Amber - How did the idea for this new series come about?

Lori - The concept for Any Given Doomsday came to me several years ago when I was researching another book and came across the legend of the Grigori. It fascinated me. I bought a bunch of books on prophesy, Revelation, angels, demons and read them whenever I had the chance and an idea started to nag at me—one of those ideas that captures an author and won’t let go.

In between contracted projects, I spent whatever time I had in the world of The Phoenix Chronicles. I loved it there! I showed the first few chapters to my agent, who flipped and gave it to my editor, Jen Enderlin, at St. Martin’s during a lunch meeting. Jen read the first page and said, “I love it!” An author’s dream come true!

Amber - The second book in this series called Doomsday Can Wait is due out in
May. How many books are planned for the series?

Lori - Right now there are 4, but it is still open ended.

Amber - So the Nightcreature novels...for anyone who is reading my blog who
hasn't come across them before...could you tell us a bit about them?

Lori - The Nightcreature Novels began with Blue Moon and tells the story of a secret group of monster hunters called The Jager-Suchers, or Hunter Searchers. During WW2 Hitler commissioned a werewolf army from Dr. Mengele, then when the Allies landed, they released them. This group has been fighting the results ever since.

Amber - Will there be any more Nightcreature novels or is that series over?

Lori - I am still hoping there will be more Nightcreature Novels but at
present there are none scheduled.

Amber - Are you working on any other projects at the moment?

Lori - Right now I'm finished the third book in The Phoenix Chronicles, Apocalypse Happens. I'm also hoping to begin another paranormal romance series if the Nightcreature Novels are indeed finished.

Amber - What books do you like to read when you have time? Any favourite
authors or series you can't wait to get your hands on?

Lori - I'm a huge fan of Janet Evanovich and Stephanie Plum. I count the days until the new one comes out. I also love Harlen Coben, Stephen King, Lisa Gardner, Tami Hoag.

Amber - Alot of authors have playlists that go with their books. Do you have
any musical influences or favourites that correspond with any of your books?

Lori - I'm afraid I need complete silence when I write. Music, or any noise, distracts me.

Amber - What are some of the best moments you have experienced so far as an author?

Lori - My first sale, winning a RITA for Blue Moon and then again for The Mommy Quest, meeting readers at signings and talking about books!

Amber - You are stranded on a desert island. What 5 items do you have with you
to help you survive?

Lori - A lighter, antibiotics, a knife, my husband, a flare gun.

Amber - Thank you so much for your time! Good luck with the new release and I hope you will stop by again sometime in the future!



--------------------

Contest Time!

Lori has kindly said she will give a signed copy of her new book 'Any Given Doomsday' to the winner of this contest!

So to enter comment here and tell us what special powers you would like to have? If you could have them ;)

No special powers mentioned, no entry!

You can earn yourself an extra entry by posting about this interview & contest somewhere on the internet and leaving me a link so I can confirm your post.

This contest will be open until Sunday 7th of Novemeber 4pm CET and all entrants should check back to see if they have won. I will draw a new winner if the prize is not claimed within 7 days.

Enter away and enjoy!

Labels: , , ,

 
posted by Unknown at Sunday, November 02, 2008 |


41 Comments:


At 2 November 2008 at 10:26, Blogger Cathy

Always thought being able to teleport would be a great power to have. To visit my kids, drop in at my sister's, or spirit away for a weekend vacation would be a total kick.

 

At 2 November 2008 at 10:50, Blogger shaunesay

Today I would like to be telekinetic with a little more, I'd love to be able to lounge on the couch and read while cleaning up the house at the same time!

Thank you for the contest!

 

At 2 November 2008 at 10:55, Blogger Rebekah E.

I just resently watched the movie Jumper. That is what I would love to have my power be. I could go anywhere I wanted, that would be so awesome.

 

At 2 November 2008 at 11:29, Anonymous Anonymous

My preferred super-power would be to not need sleep and have lots of energy. Maybe then I'd actually be able to get everything done! LOL For real! Teleporting comes in a close second though.

 

At 2 November 2008 at 11:48, Blogger Pamk

would love to have teleporation or flight. barrinb that I would love to have the gift of healing.
I am going to blog about this on my blog at
wwww.bookcrazyscrapbookmama.blogspot.com

 

At 2 November 2008 at 11:51, Blogger ArkieRN

Telekinesis would be so great! I can think of many ways I could use that power to make my life easier.

 

At 2 November 2008 at 12:03, Blogger Kathy

I think teleporting. I love to travel and that seems a fast, inexpensive way.

As always, I will post your contest on my blog. http://kathyschaos.blogspot.com/

KathyB

 

At 2 November 2008 at 12:12, Blogger Ruth Schaller

The superpower that I would have to have would be to be able to read minds. That would come in very handy for situations or even if you just wanted to find out stuff!

That would be mine!

 

At 2 November 2008 at 14:01, Blogger Nancy

Hi Lori! I adore Any Given Doomsday, and will be in line for the sequel!

My power would be to flip and hand and have the house sparkling clean!

Thanks for the interview, Amber and Lori!

Light,
Nancy Haddock

 

At 2 November 2008 at 15:30, Blogger darbyscloset

I would love to have the gift of the healing touch. Think what the world would be like!!!
Thanks
Darby
darbyscloset at yahoo dot com

 

At 2 November 2008 at 16:22, Blogger Michelle

I posted your contest info on myspace blog...you can use this link & then click on my blog:

http://www.myspace.com/koshkalady

 

At 2 November 2008 at 16:24, Blogger Michelle

Well, that is a hard choice but I think it would be really cool to have teleportation or the shape changing ability...

 

At 2 November 2008 at 18:18, Blogger Pamk

i posted this on my blog.
www.bookcrazyscrapbookmama.com

 

At 2 November 2008 at 18:49, Blogger Crystal Adkins

Mine would be Teleportation! I hate being late for anything and with that power I can just *snap* and I'm there :)

crystal72206@yahoo.com
Crystal Adkins

 

At 2 November 2008 at 19:47, Blogger Lori T

I would love to be able to stop time...just freeze it for a bit to allow me time to do all I need to do.

 

At 2 November 2008 at 21:56, Anonymous Anonymous

Would be nice to have special powers, like being able to read a book by just looking at the cover or being able to cure persons by putting your hand on that place.

 

At 3 November 2008 at 03:44, Blogger Shelbycat

At the moment i have lots of Uni work to do so i'd like to be able to freeze time so i could get everything done in a second, like Hiro on Heroes.

 

At 3 November 2008 at 03:49, Blogger Shelbycat

Forgot to mention i've also put this on my blog so can i have another entry?
http://shelbycat.blogspot.com/

 

At 3 November 2008 at 04:09, Blogger Caitlin Hoy

I would love telekinesis. I'm really a big fan of sloth but can rarely be lazy. This way I can do what needs to be done while at the same time I get to be lazy. :-)
Caitlin
ckh988@aol.com

 

At 3 November 2008 at 05:02, Blogger Marlene

Wow this is such a fun question and I love these contests plus because I am very new to paranormal books this helps me a lot, to find out which books are out and which books are loved.

Okay super power.
The first thing I thought was to be able to be invisible.
I've always wanted that. I could visit Obama and John McCainss offices and see what they were really up to. lol

 

At 3 November 2008 at 05:18, Blogger Stephanie

I think I'd like to be able to fly. Bonus points if I can fly really fast like Superman, to save on travel expenses.

 

At 3 November 2008 at 05:19, Blogger Stephanie

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

At 3 November 2008 at 06:58, Anonymous Anonymous

Hi, everyone!

Great ideas for Superpowers. Do y'all watch Heroes? Love that show.

Thanks to Amber for asking me to do the interview. What fun!

I've been waiting it seems like forever for Any Given Doomsday to be released and tomorrow's the day.

I just did a major overhaul of my website which went live on Halloween. So give it a look when you have the chance.

 

At 3 November 2008 at 08:11, Blogger CrystalGB

Great interview. I love Lori's books. I would love to be able to have healing powers and the power to control weather.

 

At 3 November 2008 at 08:35, Blogger Jackie Uhrmacher

Please don't enter me in the contest. I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of the book. I just wanted to stop by and say how absolutely fabulous Any Given Doomsday was. The characters were multi-layered and there were creepy crawlies I'd never heard of before, making it more exciting to read.

Highly recommended read!

 

At 3 November 2008 at 10:57, Blogger Unknown

I'm not sure- reading minds, teleporting, shape-shifting. Any of them would be awesome.

 

At 3 November 2008 at 13:38, Blogger Paradox

Shapeshifting covers just about everything, if you're speaking biologically. You can change yourself so that you can gain any power (unless it's magic or that sort of thing). It's either that, telekinesis, or teleportation.

 

At 3 November 2008 at 14:52, Blogger StyleVamp

I would like the power to stop time...there are so many things you can do with that..If I'm running late..I'll just snap my finger & time is stopped..snap it again I'm ready & set to go & not running late..I think this would be great..If I'm shopping and want to take my time.snap my finger, no waiting on lines to try clothing.."deep sight, if only this were possible"

 

At 3 November 2008 at 15:34, Blogger Margay Leah Justice

I would like to be able to heal people with psychic energy like my grandmother did.

 

At 3 November 2008 at 16:17, Blogger Deirdre

I'd love to be able to be in two places at once so I could work and do stuff I want to do simultaneously!

 

At 3 November 2008 at 16:19, Blogger Calliope

When I was a kid and used to (ha...yeah, used to...) watch the X-Men cartoon and always loved the Phoenix sagas. If I had special powers, I'd want hers. Not to mention Scott was always kinda cute...

 

At 3 November 2008 at 17:20, Blogger Asylumgirl

I would love to be able to move super fast so that I could get so much more done.

Deidre
deidre_durance at hotmail dot com

 

At 3 November 2008 at 19:41, Blogger Paranormal and Romantic Suspense Reviews

I would love to be able to teleport anywhere I wanted too!

I also would love to be able to read people's minds!

 

At 3 November 2008 at 21:25, Blogger TestBunny

speed for all the things i need to get done but slow it down to enjoy reading and the hobbies.:)

love \ms. handelands books.

thanks for the interview.

barbkywe

 

At 4 November 2008 at 12:50, Anonymous Anonymous

I would pick shapeshifting, hands down. There's just something so primal about it.

 

At 4 November 2008 at 15:27, Blogger Jami

i would love to be able to talk to someone through thoughts instead of words.

 

At 5 November 2008 at 20:20, Blogger caseykelp

I would like to be able to be invisible or shapeshift into a cat or something.

 

At 5 November 2008 at 21:53, Blogger annalisa

Telekinesis would be cool. I could re-arrange the furniture without worrying about pulling any more muscles. LOL! Also, would love to have super speed so the housework would get done quicker and I could spend more time reading my books! :)

 

At 6 November 2008 at 06:58, Blogger sclement

I always loved the x-men... lot of super powers to chose from. :P

I would choose telekinesis cause its just way cool.

 

At 6 November 2008 at 23:53, Blogger rb

Teleporting! Then I won't have to worry about getting lost all the time :D

 

At 8 November 2008 at 08:24, Blogger catslady

I would like to have the power of healing with just the laying of hands - to know that friends and family were safe from pain :)

 






Free Website Counter;
Free Website Counter

 Subscribe in a reader





users online