Sunday 13 July 2008
Another week has gone by and it is time for another author interview and contest!

This week I am happy to have Angie Fox here on Amberkatze's Book Blog! Angie is new on the scene as a writer with 'The Accidental Demon Slayer' but has always had a love for the paranormal genre. I will let the interview tell you more but keep reading till the end because I have a copy of Angie's book to give away and it isn't even out yet!!!

Read my review of the 'The Accidental Demon Slayer' for Paranormal Romance.

---------------------------------------------

Amber - I had the pleasure of reviewing 'The Accidental Demon Slayer' for Paranormal Romance so I know what the book is about. However maybe you could describe your upcoming release in your own words?

Angie - The Accidental Demon Slayer is a funny paranormal romance about a straight-laced preschool teacher who runs smack dab into her fate when a demon shows up in her bathroom. Turns out, that’s just the beginning. Soon her hyperactive terrier starts talking, and her long-lost biker witch Grandma is hurling Smuckers jars filled with magic. And just when she thinks she’s seen it all, Lizzie learns she’s a demon slayer—and all hell is after her.

Of course, that’s not the only thing after her. Dimitri Kallinikos, a devastatingly handsome shape-shifting griffin needs Lizzie to slay a demon of his own. But how do you talk a girl you’ve never met into going straight to the underworld? Lie. And let’s just say he tries a little bit of seduction too.


Amber - 'The Accidental Demon Slayer' is your first book. Was it hard to get to where you are today?

Angie - It was hard because for years, I kept writing the wrong thing. I’d sit down and write these serious mysteries and then sneak off and read MaryJanice Davidson, Charlaine Harris, Stephanie Rowe. It took a while for it to click and for me to realize that hmm…maybe I should write the kind of books I love to read.

I had this spark of an idea about a preschool teacher who is forced to run off with a gang of geriatric biker witches and The Accidental Demon Slayer was born.


Amber - I have to say that I saw alot of Lizzie in myself...working in a Kindergarten and nearly 30 it was like someone was writing about me...is Lizzie actually based on someone? Are you like her?

Angie - That’s great to hear. I’m glad you could identify with Lizzie. She is, in a lot of ways, who I would like to be.

Lizzie has a real gift for seeing people as they are, and an ability to detect the irony in almost any situation. She’s too hard on herself, like we all tend to be. She grows and changes a lot in the book, but she never loses her ability to make the best of any situation. And I do tend to throw a lot of “situations” her way. Poor Lizzie.


Amber - How much research did you have to do for the book?

Angie - Loads, actually. First off, the biker witches ride Harleys, and I’d never been on a motorcycle before. Second, I had to figure out how to get Pirate the dog onto a bike.

I went online and learned about the Biker Dogs Motorcycle Club, made up exclusively of Harley riders and their dogs. I ended up meeting some of them, along with a few other bikers along the way. These bikers were so great to me. They hoisted me onto the back of their Harleys (with dogs in tow). They took me to biker rallies (note to self: don’t wear pink). And they laughed at me when I tried to put my helmet on backwards (I still say I was distracted by the Pomeranian wearing a tiny pair of motorcycle glasses).

After a few outings with my new biker friends, I was able to make my geriatric biker witch characters a lot more realistic. And I took home some great pictures, too.

Amber - Where did the idea for 'The Accidental Demon Slayer' come from?

Angie - My infant son used to wake me up two or three times a night, then promptly fall back asleep while I fed him. I’d be up, in this quiet house, and after a bit, your mind starts to wander. I remember sitting there one night, listening to a train rattling over the tracks about a mile away, thinking about books I’d like to write. I got to thinking about what would happen if a straight laced preschool teacher suddenly learns she’s a demon slayer. And what if she has to learn about her powers on the run from a bad boy demon? Ohhh and wouldn’t it be fun if she’s running with her long-lost Grandma’s gang of geriatric biker witches?

I wrote my ideas on the back of an envelope, and when I read it the next morning, decided this was something I could have a good time with. I liked the idea of a reluctant heroine thrust into a series of extraordinary situations, when all she really wants to do is to get her normal life back. I sat down at the keyboard the next day and the rest is history.

Amber - Paranormal books seem to be all the rage lately. Why did you pick this genre to write about?

Angie - I didn’t at first. I kept trying to write serious mysteries, while reading paranormals on the side. Don’t get me wrong – I like reading mysteries too, but I found myself really enjoying what other authors were doing with paranormals. And I was a bit envious – I wanted to step outside the norm, write my own rules, create new worlds. So, finally, I did.

Amber - What books do you read when you have some time off from writing?

Angie - I’m one of those people who always has a book in her purse. Right now, I’m addicted to the Sookie Stackhouse series. I loved Undead and Unworthy (although Undead and Unwed will always be my favorite). I read Katie MacAlister, Tate Hallaway, Stephanie Rowe, Michelle Rowen, Lynsay Sands, Elizabeth Peters, Laurell K Hamilton, JR Ward. I just discovered Kathy Love’s “Young Brothers” books (yes, I’ve been buried under a rock). I’m blowing through those right now. That’s actually kind of fun to know I have the next three books already on my shelf. I also have Erin McCarthy’s vegas vampires, the latest Michele Bardsley and Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files series on my ever-growing TBR shelf. And I just read a really great cozy mystery by Rhys Bowen.

Amber - What is next? More demon slaying? Any more projects?

Angie - Right now, I’m finishing up edits on the second book in The Accidental Demon Slayer series, called The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers. In it, the straight-laced Lizzie decides she’s going to learn everything about her powers, and at the same time, write the proverbial book on demon slaying. And, as you might have guessed – things don’t quite go according to plan.

Truth be told, I’m dragging my feet a bit on this edit. I’m having a great time with The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers and it’s going to be hard to let it go. It’s like dishing up the last piece of double chocolate cake. I want to savor it, enjoy every bit, because it’ll be over before I know it.


Amber - You are a part of the author blog 'Something Wicked' how did that come about?

Angie - Through friendship, really. I just grabbed a bunch of authors I like and said, “Hey, you want to do a blog?” Ann Aguirre and I have worked together as critique partners. I met Shirley Damsgaard and Karen MacInerney at various author events, enjoyed them both and kept up with them. I met Tate Hallway when I bugged her to blurb my book. I just love the way she writes. She’s a neat person, and we’d kept in touch, so I enlisted her too. I think the best group blogs are the ones where the authors have fun and can play off each other. We have a really neat mix going right now. And for those of you who don’t know us yet, check us out here.

Amber - What do you like to do in your free time?

Angie - I’m currently addicted to the Sims2 computer game. I also play a lot of strategy games like Civilization, Rome and The Movies. Plus I’m a mom to a four-year-old and an eighteen-month-old, so we take a lot of walks, mold a lot of Play-Doh and create a lot of sidewalk chalk art. I garden (with mixed results). My husband and I are trivia addicts and I also read way too much.
Amber - Any advice for people out there who are hoping to be future authors?

Angie - Yes – write what you want to write. It sounds simple, but it took me three books to figure that out. Also, don’t be afraid to push your writing, to surprise even yourself. Your characters have to take bigger chances, have more to risk and lose. It’s easy to say, but a hard thing for a writer to do. It’s a vulnerable, risky place to be.

I knew my story was big enough to sell when instead of ending my writing sessions thinking, “I hope that’s good enough to impress an editor.” I ended them thinking, “No. I didn’t not just write that. I did not just make my character defend herself with a toilet brush and a can of Purple Prairie Clover air freshener.”

Amber - If you could pick any actress to play your main characters in a move/TV series...who would you pick?

Angie - Sandra Bullock would make a good Lizzie. As far as Dimitri? Perhaps a younger, Greek Harrison Ford.

Thanks for having me, Amber. This has been fun!


Amber – Thanks for donating your time! I hope you will come back again ;)

---------------------------------



Check out Angie's website and you can read the first chapter of the book!

Contest time!

I have one copy of The Accidental Demon Slayer to give away and all you have to do to enter is comment here on this thread letting me know which character from a book you can relate to most?

No comment no entry!

If you are signed up to my newsletter you also get a second entry! So it pays to sign up ;)

The contest will close on Sunday the 20th of July at 4pm CET.


Enter away!

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Unknown at Sunday, July 13, 2008 |


45 Comments:


At 13 July 2008 at 14:17, Anonymous Anonymous

Who says there isn't any new ideas out there? I'm envisioning my kid's pre-school teachers hunting demons. Too funny1

If I had to pick a "book" character, it'd have to be Spider-Man. Reason: I can totally associate to his being pulled in a million directions while trying to help everyone and make them happy. You fail then try again, and again. Someday we'll win.

 

At 13 July 2008 at 15:22, Blogger Angie Fox

LOL That's how I was too. This idea actually came after a long day with the kids. And I had a lot of fun with the fact Lizzie doesn't want to be a demon slayer. Heck, she didn't know any of this existed until she gained her powers. And now she's got to take a speed-course in how to save the world.

 

At 13 July 2008 at 16:01, Blogger Carmen R

I would have to say Anita Blake because of her attitude is a lot like mine.

 

At 13 July 2008 at 19:13, Anonymous Anonymous

I can relate to lizzie, i make the best out of any situation & I felt a connection when I read about her!
pitluv4@hotmail.com

 

At 13 July 2008 at 19:21, Blogger Unknown

I hope I win a copy of this book. I'm looking forward to reading it!!! :)

Ann
noumena12

 

At 13 July 2008 at 19:45, Anonymous Anonymous

I would have to say that I can relate to Lizzie the most. My goal in life is to be a teacher. So I guess we have that in common. As for the crazy adventures she gets into, well, I guess I haven't met any demons, much less slayed any. haha.

Sounds like an awesome read. A little adventure plus a little lies plus a little romance. =)

Please enter me in the contest. Thank you.

Carmen T
carmenalexistsang@gmail.com

 

At 13 July 2008 at 19:54, Blogger Nessa

Susan, from the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. She so desperately wants to be normal and fit in, and she just can't. And though I feel sometimes like I don't fit in for entirely different reasons (interests, rather than heritage), I can completely relate to that feeling.

 

At 13 July 2008 at 20:17, Anonymous Anonymous

Oooh one of the character's I really relate to is Naomi from Memoir's of a Teenage Amnesiac. I've had the same sort of feelings of wanting to sort of redo everything and start again!

 

At 13 July 2008 at 20:17, Anonymous Anonymous

Btw I'm Weisa on bookcrossing xoox

 

At 13 July 2008 at 21:15, Anonymous Anonymous

Having been a preschool teacher in one of my lifetime incarnations, I love the premise. Can't wait to read the book!

Hmm...character I can relate to: Kate Reilly from Touch of Evil (Thrall series). She's constantly having to fight off people and others who want her to do things she doesn't want to do.

yvensong at BookCrossing

 

At 13 July 2008 at 21:16, Blogger Bunny B

I can relate to Lizzie because I've always loved to be a kindy teacher :) Finding out I'm a demon slayer would be a shock too! :P

 

At 13 July 2008 at 22:48, Blogger Kimberly B.

One of the fictional characters with whom I identify the most is Jilly Coppercorn from Charles de Lint's Newford stories. Although I'm not as talented or as optimistic as she is, I like the way she sees the magic in everything, and I try to be that way, too.
What a terrific giveaway!

 

At 14 July 2008 at 00:00, Blogger Ladytink_534

Oh wow, good question! I find myself relating to a lot of characters, the most recent of which would probably be Maggie O' Neill from Madelyn Alt's Bewitching Mysteries.

I signed up for your newsletter about two days ago because I kept missing a lot of your posts. This sounds like a great book and I can't wait until I can read it!

 

At 14 July 2008 at 01:37, Blogger Unknown

Nice comments so far!

Keep them coming :)

 

At 14 July 2008 at 05:55, Blogger Ruth Schaller

Well, out of all of the books that I have read, I feel like I connect with Faythe from Stray by Rachel Vincent. She's full of life, wants to be normal and hates to be tied down. That's me to the t!!!!!!

Count me in for this contest!

Ruth

 

At 14 July 2008 at 08:41, Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried

GREAT interview, ladies!

I've got this posted at Win a Book -- I seem to be posting a lot there about this book, Angie... awesome. I hope your success exceeds this building buzz.

 

At 14 July 2008 at 09:57, Blogger Angie Fox

I'm reading all of these comments with a pen in hand, adding to my TBR list. And ladytink, I recently discovered the Maggie O' Neill mysteries - those are fantastic.

And thanks, Susan. It's been a real kick to talk biker witches and demons with all kinds of people lately. And I just found out Target and Wal-Mart have picked up the book, so readers can have their biker witches, along with back to school supplies, toilet paper and maybe a few paper towels (to clean up gooey demon messes).

 

At 14 July 2008 at 12:21, Blogger Margay Leah Justice

If you mean relate to any character from any book, then I would have to say Bella from Twilight. This book, more than any other, made me reminder the excruciating details of what it's like to be 17. Not so much being the new girl (I wasn't), but the not fitting in part - and a little about liking a guy you never thought would like you back.

 

At 14 July 2008 at 12:38, Blogger -.-

That's a tough one. I'd have to say Alice from Alice in Wonderland. I'm a day dreamer and I get told that I live in a fantasy land a lot. Alice's world seems like a fun and amazing place, and my dreams are like that too.

~ Popin

 

At 14 July 2008 at 15:47, Blogger misty

This is pretty embarrasing to say but - Smashed :story of a drunken girlhood by Koren Zailckas. I know it's not a character. But that is the BOOK I can most identify with. Thanks so m uch for the opportunity.

planetmisty@hughes.net

 

At 14 July 2008 at 17:02, Anonymous Anonymous

biker witch Grandma


yeah i know

 

At 14 July 2008 at 19:30, Blogger Jami

Ihavent read this book so i hope to win a copy. The fictional character I identify with the most is Bella from Twilight. We are both inlove with a Vampire. exept mine denies the way he is.

 

At 14 July 2008 at 20:41, Blogger tetewa

The character I can relate to is Victoria Gardella from Colleen Gleason's Gardella Chronicles. She really knows how to kick some butts!

 

At 14 July 2008 at 21:27, Blogger Lori T

Maybe Sally Owens from Practical Magic...she is a "nice" sensible woman who loves fiercly and will not let anything happen to her family. I especially like her relationship with her sister. I however do not have any of her witchy abilities.

This was a great question.

 

At 14 July 2008 at 23:54, Blogger LadyVampire2u

I think right now my pick for a character I can relate to the most from a book would be Kitala Bell from Majorie M Liu's book "Soul Song". So many obsticles in her quest for happiness in her life and yet she finds the simple beauty in things. Pure determination on her part wins the day.

 

At 15 July 2008 at 07:11, Blogger Angie Fox

LOL Remind me not to offend you, tetewa.

 

At 15 July 2008 at 10:12, Anonymous Anonymous

How did I miss this contest?! I keep hearing about this book, especially in the Yahoo Group I'm in and Angie has been talking about it there too.

When does this come out again? The 29th? Two more weeks and then my curiosity will be satisfied.

 

At 15 July 2008 at 11:45, Anonymous Anonymous

I would have to say Rachel Morgan...she gets herself into theses predicaments and can't ever figure out why. I am so much like that. But I love my life, "demons" and all!
gecko4ever on bookcrossing

 

At 15 July 2008 at 19:43, Blogger Anita Yancey

I can most relate to Stephanie Plum from Fearless Fourteen. What a gal. Please enter me in the contest. Thanks!
ayancey@dishmail.net

 

At 15 July 2008 at 20:28, Blogger macbeaner

The concept of this books sounds awesome. The interview was great! Thanks so much for the read!

 

At 16 July 2008 at 05:37, Anonymous Anonymous

I love the title and the concept. Great interview--good answers and great questions. Congrats!

I am looking forward to reading this.

Laurel Bradley
A Wish in Time
Creme Brulee Upset

 

At 16 July 2008 at 12:27, Blogger Pamk

I am like Sookie Stackhouse in Charlaine Harris series. I am not telepathic but just a normal woman that takes things as they come and rolls with the punches.

 

At 16 July 2008 at 13:34, Anonymous Anonymous

hmmm n ot sure

but would love to read this book!!!!!!! gypsywitch36@yahoo.com

tasha t

 

At 16 July 2008 at 20:27, Blogger Lexie

Acorna from the very first Acorna book 'Acorna: Unicorn Girl' by Margaret Ball and Anne McCaffrey. I don't know why, but whenever I read that book I just feel like I can relate to the feelings that Acorna is dealing with. Not so much for the other 6 books however.

 

At 17 July 2008 at 07:08, Anonymous Anonymous

WOW!! What a great contest. I have been wanting to read this book for awhile. Please enter me.

 

At 17 July 2008 at 12:07, Anonymous Anonymous

Defenitivly Rachel Morgan *g*

 

At 17 July 2008 at 20:56, Blogger Night critter

For me it is Hannah Drake from Christine Feehan's Drake Sister Series. Like Hannah I'm a homebody and I find it a strain to be among people. I can totally relate to her feelings and the struggle of interacting with people outside of the family circle.

 

At 18 July 2008 at 08:46, Anonymous Anonymous

jackie from de lint's jack the giant killer. i like the way she was forced into it all and yet she felt responsible.

katayoun

 

At 18 July 2008 at 10:21, Anonymous Anonymous

Guess it depends a lot on the type of book, just finished reading a book where I felt more related to the guy who plays ghost most of the book (after committing suicide in the start) but sometimes it's just the person who's telling the story that I seem to relate best to.
thanks for the contest ;-)

 

At 19 July 2008 at 00:30, Blogger J

Off the head, I can think of Eve Dallas - her cautiousness when it comes to personal relationships.

 

At 19 July 2008 at 10:05, Blogger Unknown

sookie from chqrlqine harris, love to reqd ppl minds

 

At 19 July 2008 at 20:38, Blogger macbeaner

Character from a book...hmmmm.

I'd love to be able to identify with Anita Blake, she exudes such sexuality :)

This books sounds awesome. I hope I win a copy.

 

At 19 July 2008 at 21:21, Blogger Scifibookcat

I'd have to say Kate Connor from Julie Kenner's Carpe Demon: Adventures Of A Demon-hunting Soccer Mom as she struggles to juggle her "job" and family.

 

At 20 July 2008 at 00:21, Blogger Gina G.

Angie - your book sounds wonderful, I'll head out to B&N tomorrow to pick it up.

Amber - I love your interview questions! So, as far as the contest goes - the character that I relate to at this point in time is Alice from Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series. Alice lost her memory (as did I 20 years ago), has a heart of gold (considering she is a vampire), and would do anything for her family and friends...she's also quite funny!
Gina G in Springfield, IL

 

At 20 July 2008 at 07:17, Blogger Unknown

The contest is now closed!!

No more entries will be taken and the winner will be announced soon!

 






Free Website Counter;
Free Website Counter

 Subscribe in a reader





users online