Sunday 26 October 2008
It is time for something a little different! No paranormal author this week because Halloween weekend is just going to be full of them...

This week my guest on Amberkatze's Book Blog is Arlene Russo! Arlene is the editor of Bite Me magazine. If anyone has been following my blog for a while they will know that I wrote the book reviews in the last issue of the mag and Arlene and myself have been putting together a Bite Me Blog to help support the magazine!

So read a bit about the lady and then keep going for the contest!

------------------

Amber - Arlene it is great to have you here on Amberkatze's Book Blog! Maybe you can start things off by telling us a little bit about yourself?

Arlene - I am Arlene and I publish and edit Bite Me magazine. I am also the author of Vampire Nation, about real life vampires in the UK.

Amber - You are founder and editor of the magazine 'Bite Me'. How did Bite Me come about?

Arlene - basically a visit to the 'world's biggest Dracula party' sparked the idea for Bite me. Over 1000 Drac fans converged on Los Angeles in August 1997 for a convention to celebrate centenary of Bram Stoker's immortal novel Dracula. Over 4 days I met a host of interesting characters, Hammer Horror legend Countess Dracula Ingrid Pitt & other Hammer stars, also son of Bela Lugosi. Also the very first man to ever spend a night alone in the real Castle Dracula in Romania, and a psychic vampire.

Back in Scotland, I was on a mission: to produce a publication that would unite fans from all around the world. Fans with one thing in common- a love of Dracula! (I had no prior experience of producing a magazine.) From an initial plan to produce a small fanzine, I decided I wanted to produce a 'proper' mag. One that could sit amongst shelved in stores across the world. So big, glossy, and colourful it had to be. I therefore undertook a self -taught crash course in publishing. I had to teach myself every aspect of an industry I had no experience of. It was very daunting and had elements of a true nightmare! Prior to Bite me, I had a healthy interest in fanged fiends. A mere ten years old, I first became captivated by Christopher Lee, when my parents allowed me to stay up late to watch the horror double bills.



Amber - How long has Bite Me been out on the market? Where can people get their hands on a copy?

Arlene - It launched in 1999.. It is available to order from www.bitememagazine.com. I deliver all over the world. It can also be bought in most Forbidden Planet and Borders stores

Amber - What can readers expect to find inside an issue of Bite Me?

Arlene - anything dark and interesting, from haunted places to visit to the latest research on real vampires plus a load of fun stuff too. I try to keep it light.

Amber - Bite Me isn't released on a regular basis. How often is an issue released? What factors play in the decision? When can readers expect issue 21?

Arlene - It did used to be released 4 times a year, and is so often the case with independent publishers, things get harder. I have to work twice as hard and find twice as much money to fund the mag. But I am always hopeful it will get back to 4 times a year or even more! I do have to say that I have found that people don't seem to buy magazines these days as much as say ten years ago. It's a pity people don't support independent mags like Bite me, as without support they will all die away...

Amber - So are you a vampire? Ever met one? ;)

Arlene - I'm afraid not, I'm quite human! Indeed I have met loads of vampires. You can read all about them in my book Vampire Nation.

Amber - Who is your favourite vamp? Movie, book, TV or otherwise. And why?

Arlene - It's got to be Christopher Lee- as he was the one that caused me to fall for vampires. He has a lot to answer for!

Amber - Do you have any other projects you are working on?

Arlene - I am working on several books, some vampire-related, some not! I will post new info on the new blog when it is hot off the press!

Amber - You are stranded on a desert island. What 5 items do you want to have with you?

Arlene -

1. Lavender Oil- for when things get stressful
2. my laptop and everlasting batteries
3. my entire bookcase (does that count, it is one item but it is crammed full of books)
4. my beloved teddy bear
5. The Bible.


Amber - Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions! I look forward to reading more Bite Me!

--------------------

Contest time!

I have 4 copies of the latest Bite Me magazine to give away to 4 lucky people! This is the issue with my book reviews inside as well as some other cool stuff!

I am also giving away a copy of Blood Lite! The new anthology with a cool vamp on the cover! With stories inside from Kelley Armstrong, Charlaine Harris, Jim Butcher and Sherrilyn Kenyon!

To enter the contest all you have to do is comment on this thread and tell me who your favourite vamp is? Book, film, TV or otherwise.

If you want to get another entry then post about this contest somewhere on the web and leave me a link so I can check it out!

To get another entry you can go to the new Bite Me Blog and leave a message and/or sign up for the newsletter (one entry each).

Also posting somewhere on the web about the new Bite Me Blog or the mag will earn you another entry and buying a copy and emailing me a copy of your order will also get you entries! (If you already have a copy then show me proof and I will also give you an extra entry!)

So with so many ways to enter this contest and 5 prizes to be won this is a big contest! Just warming us up ready for Halloween weekend!

The contest closes on Sunday November 2nd at 4pm CET.

Winners have to check back to see if they have won and I will draw a new winner if a prize isn't claimed within 7 days!

Good Luck!!

Labels: , , , , , ,

 
posted by Unknown at Sunday, October 26, 2008 |


40 Comments:


At 26 October 2008 at 12:35, Blogger darbyscloset

Okay, I'm playing and I'm lame for the only Drac character name I can think of is Count Dracula, so he must be my favorite!!!!
I've also posted on the Bite Me Blog and signed up for the newsletter...thanks for the introd.!
I'd be very hapy with either prize!
Thanks,
Darby
darbyscloset at yahoo dot com

 

At 26 October 2008 at 13:29, Blogger Dorlana

The Magazine sounds really interesting! My favorite vampire would have to be Lestat. I'll go check out the Bite Me blog.
Dorlana

 

At 26 October 2008 at 13:51, Blogger Nancy

Arlene, what a treat to meet you on Amber's blog site! (Wonderful interview, Amber!)

I can't imagine starting a magazine from scratch, esp. not knowing the business. You are fearless, Arlene!

My favorite vampire? You know, there are so many, it's hard to choose. I'm a fan of Hamilton's Jean Claude, but I love a whole armful of current and past vamp characters! Angel ranks right up there for sure! :)

Thanks for the fun today!

Light,
Nancy Haddock
La Vida Vampire (out now)
Last Vampire Standing (May 2009)

 

At 26 October 2008 at 14:29, Blogger Re

My favorite is Dracula of course. He's so intoxicating and sexy and fully dangerous at the same time :)

 

At 26 October 2008 at 14:33, Anonymous Anonymous

please enter my name


gypsywitch36@yahoo.com

 

At 26 October 2008 at 14:33, Anonymous Anonymous

please enter my name


gypsywitch36@yahoo.com

 

At 26 October 2008 at 14:34, Anonymous Anonymous

sorry my comp froze up and i clicked twice

dracula 2000 with gerald butler , o lalalala

gypsy

 

At 26 October 2008 at 15:01, Blogger Unknown

Oh, how I've been drooling over this magazine. My favorite vamp will always be Louis from Interview. His brooding demeanor is what turned me on to vampires in the first place, and he'll always be my favorite.

Hope you have a blessed Samhain!

 

At 26 October 2008 at 16:09, Blogger Terra57

Fantastic interview Amber and Arlene and Thank You to both of you. I must say I have been staring at the magazine cover here on Amber's site for quite some time and I have looked high and low and cannot find a copy anywhere. Darn!! Eventually I will find one and it will most likely be in the most unexpected of places.

As for my favorite vampire, hmm....that is a really hard question. I would have to say Bella Lagosi and Wesley Snipes. Female vampire would have to be Elvira. I like a smart ass with attitude and she sure does have it.
huggs,
Terra

 

At 26 October 2008 at 16:50, Blogger Mark Henry

Nice interview, guys. I've been racking my brain for a vamp and I think I've got one. Miriam Blaylock from the Hunger. Something about the ankle boots and new wave sunglasses. Delicious.

Enjoy the week's festivities!

 

At 26 October 2008 at 17:07, Anonymous Anonymous

Sesame Street's Count von Count.

Have a lovely day! :-)

 

At 26 October 2008 at 19:20, Blogger Jackie Uhrmacher

Right now my favorite vampire is Vayl from Jennifer Rardin's Jaz Parks series. He's just too adorable without even trying to be!

 

At 26 October 2008 at 20:21, Anonymous Anonymous

Nick Knight from Forever Knight.

 

At 26 October 2008 at 20:44, Anonymous Anonymous

What a good interview; very informative.

My favorite vampire is Spike. :)

 

At 26 October 2008 at 21:09, Blogger Michelle

I would have to say my favorite vamps are Larell K. Hamilton's Jean Claude & Asher...

Happy Halloween Arlene do you have any special plans for the Holiday?


I posted contest info on myspace blog:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.previewBlog&Mytoken=0E8B081B-BE94-4825-8E17E712E50CA57A27979881

 

At 26 October 2008 at 21:58, Blogger tetewa

My favorite was Stuart Townsend in The Queen of the Damned! tWarner419@aol.com

 

At 26 October 2008 at 22:47, Blogger Dawn M.

My favorite vampires are:

Movies - Selene (Underworld)

Books - Vayl from the Jaz Parks series (Jennifer Rardin), Shane from Wicked Game (Jeri Smith-Ready) and Edward from the Twilight series (Stephenie Meyer).

I also signed up for the Bite Me Blog newsletter.

Thanks! :0)

 

At 26 October 2008 at 23:21, Blogger Caitlin Hoy

My favorite vamp character would have to be Mircea from the Cassandra Palmer series by Karen Chance.
Caitlin
ckh988@aol.com

 

At 26 October 2008 at 23:44, Blogger Lori T

Boy...that is a hard question. I would probably have to say one of JR Ward's vampires...probably Vishous. There are just so many great ones to choose from.

 

At 27 October 2008 at 02:14, Blogger Shelbycat

My favourite vampire is Kisten from the Kim Harrison books. I don't really know whay but over the course of a few books i definately found him enjoyable to read.

 

At 27 October 2008 at 06:56, Anonymous Anonymous

Great interview, I will have to check out Vampire Nation. As for my favorite, I prefer the older gentleman type. I'd have to say Marious is my favorite.

 

At 27 October 2008 at 13:05, Anonymous Anonymous

You know, I'm probably showing my age here, but I cut my vampire teeth on Barnabas Collins. I used to run home from school everyday to watch Dark Shadows on TV. I've heard that Johnny Depp is reprising the roll on the big screen. ** YUM YUM ** I would love a copy of Blood Lite. Love those vamp stories!

 

At 27 October 2008 at 13:24, Blogger Calliope

Oh, gods, I'd have to say it's a tie between Lestat (because he's not afraid to be what he is) and Bones, from Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series (because he's British and hot and has this attitude that sends chills down my spine)...on second thought, maybe Bones wins...

Please enter me in the contest!

 

At 27 October 2008 at 13:35, Blogger Angela @ Reading Angels

I think that Jean Claude is still my favorite vamp, he was my original romeo :-) Although Bones runs a close second!

 

At 27 October 2008 at 14:12, Blogger Jami

even though it seems to be a fad... i love Edward Cullen from the Twilight series. i was reading the book before its became big :)

 

At 27 October 2008 at 16:29, Blogger macbeaner

I still have to go with Jean Claude. While I know vampires aren't dreamy, he just appeals to me.

 

At 27 October 2008 at 19:56, Blogger Crystal Adkins

OMG this is the best giveaway ever! I love vamps more than anything... well I love historicals too :) My fav. vamp is Zadist from J.R. Ward's BDB series I really like him :)

 

At 29 October 2008 at 05:05, Blogger Ruth Schaller

did I hear something about vamps???? Oh, I think I did and that's why I'm here!

Hmmmm....my fave vamp would have to be Betsy from MaryJanice Davidson's Undead series. She is just too funny!!

 

At 29 October 2008 at 12:37, Blogger Unknown

I can´t choose... I love them all.. sigh!

 

At 29 October 2008 at 15:14, Blogger Stephanie

The magazine sounds fun! I need to read more magazines. Today my favorite vampire is Con, from the book Sunshine.

 

At 29 October 2008 at 16:53, Blogger Patricia Altner

Loved the interview! I applaud Arlene for having the guts to start up a magazine with no experience, and do such a good job.

OK Favorite vampire - terribly difficult question for a vampire addict.

Today my favorite is Angel followed closely by Spike.

 

At 30 October 2008 at 09:48, Blogger StyleVamp

My favorite vampire...Bill from TrueBlood...lol

Ian Ducharme from Marta Acosta's Casa Dracula series...

 

At 30 October 2008 at 21:23, Blogger Kimberly B.

This is going back a ways, but my favorite is the Count St. Germain from Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's books. He's so sophisticated and humane!

 

At 31 October 2008 at 01:57, Anonymous Anonymous

well we have to respect the classics bram stocker's count dracula rules. but there are so many encarnations of him in film... for me I imagine dracula sometimes as bella Lugosi, you cant run away from that image its a pop icon, but I loved cary oldman on the copolla film. actually when I read the historiator it was him I imagined as dracula.

less classical vamps, I'm a sucker for anne rice vampires and I just have to love lestat, the golden brat.


magazine sounds really interesting, thanks so mush for introducing it amber

 

At 31 October 2008 at 08:17, Blogger Unknown

The magazine sounds awesome. I'm not sure who my favorite vampire is. Count Dracula, of course, Lestat, the Young Brothers, I could go on.

 

At 31 October 2008 at 12:04, Blogger Unknown

mick st john sexy and funny

gerald butler in sexy

 

At 31 October 2008 at 16:58, Blogger Shooting Stars Mag

Oh, please enter me! I'm all about anything vampires.
My favorite though? I'm not really sure I can pick one...I'm a sucker for the twilight books and I love Alice (and hey! it's a GIRL vampire, since most people pick guys).

i also blogged about this:

http://shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com/2008/10/win-it-wednesday_30.html

And I subscribed to the Bite Me magazine newsletter!!!

-Lauren
lauren51990 at aol dot com

 

At 31 October 2008 at 17:06, Blogger Shooting Stars Mag

back again to say that I posted a comment on the Happy Halloween! post over on the Bite Me blog. :)

-lauren
lauren51990 at aol dot com

 

At 31 October 2008 at 23:48, Blogger rb

Mine is the classic Dracula! :D

 

At 1 November 2008 at 14:18, Blogger -.-

Mine would be a tie. Either Alucard from Hellsing, or Angel, when he's evil and has no soul from Buffy.

 






Free Website Counter;
Free Website Counter

 Subscribe in a reader





users online