Monday 21 July 2008
When Marek's family is attacked they are all killed or captured. He manges to save the remaining living members of his family but the damage has already been done and they have spent days locked up with no food and the sun taunting them. Getting back to normal life isn't easy the whole family as it becomes clear that not all the members are the same as they were before the attack. With his father dead and Marek being the heir he must take over the family and seek revenge.

Summoned to the Domnitor, Marek is told to stop his search for the man who brought such pain to his family. Instead he is give an assignment, he must tell a fellow aventurieri that he is not to marry a deomi or he will suffer the consequences. Suddenly Marek realises that not only has he taken on the responsibility of looking after his family but he also has to take over his father's role as a heredity killer just as all the men in his family.

As the years pass the story follows Marek from his homeland of Transylvania to Vienna where he sees and learns more about life and the world than he has ever done before. Then the story takes the reader to Paris where Marek hopes to finally find the revenge he has wanted for so many years.

Shadow Lord has begins with a wonderful intense scene full of action. The story then leads us into Marek's story and that of his family. The novel slows slightly but is extremely interesting and will hook any reader who love vampires and likes something fresh and new. Starting in the late 1700's and ending in the early 1800's this novel is indeed a historical one but don't be put off if this usually isn't your thing because this one even had me hooked even though I usually keep away from the genre.

There is romance and some hot scenes in this one but the paranormal and historical aspect of this novel that stands out. The author has obviously done a lot of research and I applaud her depth and eye for detail and her unique new vampire world. The characters are interesting and the writing style dramatic. All in all a very good read that I would highly recommend trying.

A some may find this novel a little long-winded but it is a delightful read that had me hooked from the beginning to the powerful end. A tale of one man and his family and their roller coaster lives built on secrets and lies is addictive and I for one hope there will be more to come.

(I don't have a cover for this yet so I used an old photo of the wonderful city I live in which is also in the book, Vienna)

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Unknown at Monday, July 21, 2008 |


3 Comments:


At 21 July 2008 at 12:43, Blogger Estella

This book sounds excellent. I love vampire stories.

 

At 21 July 2008 at 13:41, Blogger Unknown

I don't have a release date for this one yet...the author told me it is going to be presented at dragon*con...I think...If I remember right.

 

At 23 July 2008 at 05:33, Blogger Patricia Altner

You know my weakness for vampires! Thanks for the review. This book has been added to my to-be-read list.

 






Free Website Counter;
Free Website Counter

 Subscribe in a reader





users online