Friday 11 July 2008
Hotter Than Hell is a baker's dozen of today's boldest and best authors of paranormal romance. This is an anthology that is literally Hotter Than Hell and boasts a story about a psychic vampire driven by a powerful love, a Greek warrior battling to save the world and a musical duo who perform better than any band ever.

Or so says the blurb on the back of the book.

The reality is that once again I believed the blurb and saw that more than half of the authors contributing to this book are on my must read list. I feel cheated and could have spent my time reading so many other books instead of this collection of rubbish.

Usually with anthologies I would review each story one by one but I won't even waste my time. This book was indeed in Paranormal, romantic and erotic and actually deserved the title 'Hotter Than Hell' as some of the scenes were quite steamy. However a short story should contain some plot and not just sex.

Sure short stories are not exactly easy to write. I actually admire authors who can do it well. However in this book hardly any of the authors had a good story to tell. The contributions from Tanya Huff, Keri Arthur, Linda Winstead Jones and Lilith Saintcrow were the only stories that I actually can say I enjoyed reading. The others were rushed, plotless and boring.

If you want to read this book I would suggest borrowing it or waiting till it is on sale. Will I ever learn my lesson and give up on the anthologies??? Someone needs to remind me not to bother next time.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Unknown at Friday, July 11, 2008 |


3 Comments:


At 11 July 2008 at 20:34, Anonymous Anonymous

This is disturbing. I just picked this book up last week because a lot of my favorite authors are in it. Mmm....I like anthologies, it's sad if it doesn't work.

Although, my experience with ones that have a TON of authors contributing does tend to suffer a little. When the stories are truly short, what kind of plot can they have. So maybe it's not going to be at the top of my pile for awhile.

 

At 11 July 2008 at 20:35, Blogger Tez Miller

Your honesty is much appreciated. Thanks for not holding back on the truth, and have a lovely day! :-)

 

At 13 July 2008 at 07:41, Blogger Unknown

@ Jackie - You got the book for exactly the same reasons. So many favourite authors!! Should be cool...but for me it wasn't. Maybe you will like the stories better.

@ Tez - If I don't like a book I am happy to say so ;) I am sure other readers will enjoy this particular book but imho it was not worth my time.

 






Free Website Counter;
Free Website Counter

 Subscribe in a reader





users online