Friday 6 June 2008
I always say I won't be bothering with another anthology but this newest release 'Weddings from Hell' was worth buying. With 3 out of 4 stories being great reads and the one other story just not being my thing this was one of the better collections of short stories.

First up was Maggie Shayne with 'Till Death'. A heartbroken McLellan witch curses all the women in her family who marry. Kira has never found out what the curse really is until her great aunt dies and she has to go to Scotland for the reading of the will. However if Kira wants the fortune left to her she will have to do something everyone is against.

This was a nice story to start off the book. The plot is a little silly in the fact that Kira suddenly gets a phone call from Scotland because a great aunt she has never heard about has died and left her millions etc. but the underlying story is nice and I actually found myself wanting to know more about the characters when the story was over.

Next up was Jeaniene Frost with a short story set in her 'Night Huntress' world called 'Happily Never After'. Isabella is the main character who has got caught up with the mafia. Her grandmother Greta asks a favour from a vampire she once knew and in return he sends Chance to help out. Chance and Isabella get off to a rocky start but things sort themselves out and they may just get the mob off their backs too!

Yes Bones makes an appearance but he doesn't have a very long part. If you like the series this story runs parallel too then you will love this short story as much as I did. This author has a great talent! I didn't really like the mafia angle too much but that is my own personal taste. The storyline worked and I hope we will see more of these characters again in the future.

Third up was 'Ghouls Night Out' by Terri Garey. Her character Nicki Styx comes out to play when her cousin needs a bridesmaid. The previous bridesmaid isn't gone though...no she is a ghost and Nicki has to help her rest in peace before the big day.

This was by far the best story in the book. I absolutely adored 'Dead Girls are Easy' and was so happy to see Nicki in this short story. This was fun, spooky and a joy to read. Now I am more eager than ever for the new book 'A Match Made in Hell' which is out next month. Not soon enough for me!

Last up was the story that let the lot down for me. Kathryn Smith contributed 'The Wedding Knight' to the bunch but it put me off straight away because it was a historical romance story. I don't mind the romance but I just don't like historical. So I won't say this was good or bad but I will say it was steamy enough!

All in all a great set of stories and obviously a great bunch of authors! They should work together more often because they wrote some really great short pieces of work here.

Labels: ,

 
posted by Unknown at Friday, June 06, 2008 |


5 Comments:


At 6 June 2008 at 20:50, Blogger Ladytink_534

I love reading anthologies! I’ve discovered some of my favorite authors that way including Charlaine Harris and MaryJanice Davidson.

 

At 7 June 2008 at 06:28, Blogger Terri Garey

I'm so glad you enjoyed "Ghouls Night Out", Amberkatze! I had so much fun writing that one. :-)

 

At 7 June 2008 at 07:54, Blogger Unknown

@ Ladytink - I have also discovered some new authors through anthologies but usually I find that only half of the stories are good.

@ Terri - Thanks for visiting and keep Nicki going! I love her!

 

At 8 June 2008 at 09:59, Blogger Kimberly Swan

Glad to hear that you ended up enjoying it Amber. Yea, the one historical story was really an odd pairing with the others. Anthologies can be so hit and miss, but over-all I thought this was a really good one too. :)

 

At 9 June 2008 at 10:15, Blogger Unknown

Yeah the historical was a little weird...although as I said this is one of the best anthologies I have read in a while. 3 out of 4 good stories is not bad!

 






Free Website Counter;
Free Website Counter

 Subscribe in a reader





users online