Wednesday 21 January 2009
Born with mixed blood, Sabina Kane is part vampire and part mage. Most people would think this combination would be a blessing of both worlds. The reality of the situation is that Sabina is an outcast. Only good enough to become an assassin in the vampire world she lives in and she has been brought up to ignore and hate the mage part of her existence.

Her new mission threatens the peace between the vampire and mage races, and Sabina suddenly finds herself wondering which side she really wants to be on. Always happy to follow the orders from her grandmother and the other leaders she now has more information about the other races, her family and more importantly about herself. While it doesn't bother Sabina that she can not go out in the sunlight, she really doesn't like being kept in the dark. Now things are personal and Sabina has to decide who to betray and who to trust.

Red-Headed Stepchild is the reason I read this genre. This is exactly the kind of Urban paranormal book that got me into the genre and keeps me coming back for more. Here we have a debut that has literally rocked me and I am scared of not being able to find the right words to explain how deeply I loved this book. Sure I read alot of good books and I enjoy every single one for their own special qualities. However there are always books that stand out for me and Red-Headed Stepchild is so shiny bright that I am blinded by how much it stood out.

Jaye Wells has such a new and unique take on vampires that I wished I had come up with the concept myself. Full of twists and turns, this is a book that makes you wish you didn't have to go to sleep, work or deal with anything else except reading till the very end. Sabina is a strong realistic heroine and the other roles in the book, played by demons, mages and faeries only make things better and better.

This is in the Kim Harrison and Kelley Armstrong league and when this comes out in April I can only suggest that you don't waste any time in buying a copy, taking the day off and devouring the most satisfying read that you have had in a long time. I seriously can't wait for more and am excited about what is still to come.

Oh and on a side note, which you won't understand until you have read the book. I am seriously considering, for the first time in 15 years, going back to my natural red hair colour after reading this.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Unknown at Wednesday, January 21, 2009 |


5 Comments:


At 21 January 2009 at 08:33, Blogger Vickie

I hope you don't mind, but I let Jaye know, via her blog, you reviewed her book.

 

At 21 January 2009 at 22:19, Blogger Pam P

I read about this one last month and put it on my wishlist, great to hear how good you think it is, even making you think about going red again, lol.

 

At 22 January 2009 at 09:50, Anonymous Anonymous

Love the review! And I am so Jealous! I really want to read this one especially after meeting her a few months ago. She is really nice and I wish her the Best!
So what are you reading next Amber?

Thanks and Have a Great Day!

Chris J.

 

At 22 January 2009 at 21:35, Blogger Book Sp(l)ot

Oh, I've wanted to read this book since I first saw the cover somewhere a few months ago!! So jealous of you for having gotten an early copy-but glad to hear that you loved it that much (now I can't wait even more).

-Lucile

 

At 25 January 2009 at 07:53, Blogger Unknown

This is definitely going to be on my top reads of 2009.

 






Free Website Counter;
Free Website Counter

 Subscribe in a reader





users online