Saturday 10 January 2009
Orphaned as a child, Mona Lisa always knew she was different, just not how different. Then one night a patient in the ER where she is working shows her exactly how different she is and introduces her into the world where she really belongs. The world of Monère, the children of the moon, may live on the same planet as everyone else but their lifes and rules are very unusual.

Not only does Mona Lisa have alot of questions about her life answered but she also has new questions to ask. Also she finds out that she is a Queen, maybe even the only mixed-blood one ever. Getting to know everything will of course take time but not all of the other Queens are happy to hear about her and Mona Lisa finds herself pulled into a power struggle laced with cruelty she has never seen before.

With so many new powers and alot of enemies, Mona Lisa does what she must to survive her introduction into this strange new world. Finding her feet, finding her family and battling with all who cross her. She is determined and her power is growing by the day.

This is the first book in Monère series and I feel stupid for not reading this earlier. Everyone had told me how great this series is but the books were always out of my price range. Thanks to a friend I have the first two books in the series and I am seriously contemplating reading the second part straight away. My only look into this world was reading the short story in the anthology Over the Moon but that offering did not do this book justice.

First I have to say that Mona Lisa Awakening was very brutal, sexual and hard hitting in places. However the story, characters and writing style was so addictive that the vulgar parts of the story didn't annoy me much but I could see it upsetting some readers.

Secondly I have to also mention how quickly Mona Lisa just accepted all she was told about herself and the Monère. In most books it takes the main character half the novel to finally trust and believe the paranormal ways they are being suddenly introduced to. At first this bugged me but after a while I found it nice to not subjected to the normal whining and denial.

Lastly I have to say I admire this new paranormal look at things. While some of the ways of the Monère are similar to those I have come across in other books there was also alot of uniqueness. I can't wait to see what happens in the rest of the series and hope that Mona Lisa Awakening wasn't a fluke.

Labels: ,

 
posted by Unknown at Saturday, January 10, 2009 |


6 Comments:


At 10 January 2009 at 16:41, Blogger Vickie

Amber: Wanted to thank you again for having all of these interviews, guest blogs and the book giveaways. I received my signed copy of THE WITCH'S GRAVE - Shirley Damsgaard, along with two bookmarks today in the mail.

 

At 10 January 2009 at 20:12, Blogger kalea_kane

Looks great! I have not heard of this one, but I am adding it to my wish list. :)

 

At 10 January 2009 at 20:12, Blogger kalea_kane

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

At 11 January 2009 at 11:32, Blogger Unknown

Wow this looks fabulous and exactly what I've been looking for. I am going out right now to buy it! I can't wait! Thank you sooo much for this review! I Love your reviews they are introducing me to all new books I otherwise wouldn't of know existed. Thank you!

 

At 12 January 2009 at 06:23, Blogger Cherie

You wrote:
"In most books it takes the main character half the novel to finally trust and believe the paranormal ways they are being suddenly introduced to. At first this bugged me but after a while I found it nice to not subjected to the normal whining and denial."

LOL you're the opposite of me then because I always hate when the main character can't just trust in themselves and what is happening to them, and sit there and try to deny it. I've bitched about that kind of thing in many of my own reviews, so much so that I found it funny to see you usually prefer it the other way around.

Eh... I think a little of it comes from environment, upbringing, and yes even religion a little too. (Having to listen too much to people who don't believe in magick or witches has made close mindedness one of my biggest pet peeves, and because of that, I tend to always see it that way, when people are refusing to believe, it's because they're not opening their mind to the possibilities. Which is why I think the background might come into play in terms of what I prefer at least.

Nonetheless, it was interesting to ponder it a bit after reading you say that so thanks for the brain tease! :P

 

At 12 January 2009 at 07:14, Blogger Unknown

Just as I said...'I found it nice to not be subjected to the normal whining and denial'.

It isn't that I like the whining and denial parts of books but I am so used to having it!

 






Free Website Counter;
Free Website Counter

 Subscribe in a reader





users online