Wednesday 16 July 2008
Anyone who reads any kind of Paranormal books has come across Anita Blake the vampire slayer and necromancer. In this graphic novel the first half of the novel 'Guilty Pleasures' (the first book in the Anita Blake series) is shown in picture and it is lovely.

The story is of course condensed but the pictures show the rest of the story. With the most amazing artwork Anita really comes to life and looks just like imagined she would. With so much detail this volume (which contains the first six issues of the graphic novels) is a must read for any Anita fan.

There are however 2 things that bothered me. The first is that Edward looked so young. I always imagined him older or at least a bit more rough looking. The second thing really annoyed me and that was the curl of hair that the artist insisted should be placed in the middle of Anita's face all the time. It looks nice in some of the artwork but would Anita be able to concentrate with hair in her face??

All in all a great piece of work and I will be on the lookout for the next vvolume in this 'Guilty Pleasures' series. Kudos to the artist for coming up with so many different penguin T-shirts and the alternative cover of Anita is brilliant.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Unknown at Wednesday, July 16, 2008 |


4 Comments:


At 16 July 2008 at 15:28, Anonymous Anonymous

Volume 2 was just released...it's on its way to me now. :)

I have to agree with you about Anita's hair. I never thought about it, but it would bug me to have something like that always in my face. However, doesn't she complain about it in the novels?

Edward is young, he's not that much older than Anita. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I didn't think there was that much of an age difference between the two.

 

At 18 July 2008 at 21:45, Blogger Kimberly Swan

I think the one I received and reviewed was between Vol 1 & Vol 2. I thought it was pretty cool to actually 'see' the characters. The only part that surprised me about Edward is that he's blond, and I must have forgotten that. lol

 

At 20 July 2008 at 12:42, Blogger Unknown

@ Jackie - I wouldn't care if she complained about it in the novels...it is annoying to see that curl in her face all the time ;)

I can't remember which book in the series I am up to but I am sure I got the impression that Edward was older...and if he looked anything like he did in the comic I would wonder why Anita hasn't jumped him yet! (unless she has and I am just not that far into the series yet)

@ Kimberly - I think the one you reviewed comes before Guilty Pleasures...but I won't be sure until I actually get a copy and can check...which will takes me ages!

 

At 20 July 2008 at 13:00, Blogger Kimberly Swan

The story does, but I think it was released between Vol 1 & Vol 2. :)

 






Free Website Counter;
Free Website Counter

 Subscribe in a reader





users online