Thursday 12 June 2008
After so many centuries the Faery Courts balance of peace is being put to the test. A power struggle is growing and the mortals have no idea what is happening around them in the shadows. Irial the ruler of the Dark Court is trying hard to keep his fey together but if he doesn't manage to keep things in order there will be blood spilled.

Leslie is seventeen years old and knows nothing of faeries or their world. All she is interested in is keeping her father and brother at arms length, getting a good college scholarship and getting a great tattoo. To get inked is something that she has wanted for a long time although the perfect design is still waiting to be found.

When she is shown a special design of eyes and wings she knows it is the one she needs. She is sure that the symbol will change her life and make the bad things in her past go away. The tattoo is special and does start to change Leslie's life. However there is something more magical at work and it has faery written all over it.

After 'Wicked Lovely' comes 'Ink Exchange'. Set in the same world and with the same characters this story is told from another perspective. Leslie is an amazing person to read about and I really felt for her and her situation. The need to get inked is something I know alot about...having 4 tattoos myself I know that the perfect design means alot. This aspect of the story was something I could relate to.

However faery isn't my thing. It has never been my thing so if my review sounds negative please take this in to consideration. I really don't like the politics...Winter versus Summer...you can do that and not this etc. I do however like Melissa Marr's world that she has created...a part fairy tale and a whole load of Urban Fantasy.

This is a dark and breathtaking read and aimed at Young Adults...which brings me to wonder what age a Young Adult book is aimed at. With themes like drugs and rape brought up in this book as well as encouraging getting a tattoo I wonder what some parents would think if they knew their child was reading this. Just a side thought...

All in all this was a well written novel and even though faery isn't my thing I will still go back for more when the author writes it! There is something in this series that has me wanting more.

Labels:

 
posted by Unknown at Thursday, June 12, 2008 |


3 Comments:


At 13 June 2008 at 08:44, Blogger Ladytink_534

I read Wicked Lovely a few months ago and adored it. I haven't gotten a chance to read this one yet but I'm sure I'll love it just as much!

 

At 13 June 2008 at 11:21, Blogger Liviania

Faery is my thing. I adore how you can't write it without politics or arcane rules - to me it helps develop everything.

 

At 14 June 2008 at 09:16, Blogger Unknown

I have never been one for politics...but this series still moves me.

 






Free Website Counter;
Free Website Counter

 Subscribe in a reader





users online