Monday 12 May 2008
Milagro De Los Santos is trying to get her career back on track and would love to have a sexy man to go home to. At a party for her ex-boyfriend she meets a nice attractive man who sweeps her off her feet. Kissing in his suite he accidently bites her and she suddenly falls ill. It takes some time but Milagro realises that the sexy Oswald is actually a vampire and now she is too.

Taken away to Oswald's family estate to get over her sickness, Milagro learns about her vampirism. She also leanrs that Oswald is spoken for and that she is being hunted by a mad secret society. Staying with the Grant family is an adventure and Milagro starts to enjoy it.

This was an extremely fun read and I wonder why a copy of this book didn't find its way to me sooner. This was a little 'Sex in the City' meets vampires and the style reminded me of Lynsay Sands and Erin McCarthy from the paranormal side and then Sophie Kinsella and Jill Mansell (my favourite chick-lit writers) on the girlie side.

Definitely something for everyone in this book and it isn't heavy on the romance. I really liked the characters and the one that made me laugh the most was the grandmother. I am already off to add the rest of the series so far to my wishlist.

Thank you Marta for this nice signed copy. It has won a place on my bookshelf to keep.

Labels:

 
posted by Unknown at Monday, May 12, 2008 |


3 Comments:


At 12 May 2008 at 05:12, Anonymous Anonymous

So you weren't turned off by Acosta's take on vampirism? I thought the novel was cute, but I didn't like her portrayal of vampires. She treated it as more of a disease than anything. A genetic anomaly that had to be lived with than anything else. Well, I shouldn't say I didn't like her take on vampirism, it just wasn't what I was expecting when I hear there are vampires in the novel.

I think this is a great novel for people who get turned off by vampires and still want a good story. There's not much of the dark to this one.

 

At 12 May 2008 at 05:54, Blogger Unknown

I wasn't turned off by her take on vampirism. Why not? Well once you have read as many paranormal vampire books as I have you tend to take these things with a pinch of salt. Every author has a new way of seeing vampirism as well as other paranormal creatures and I have just got used to things being different in each book.

I think the main thing that needs to be looked at in books are the characters, main plot and writing style. Anything else can be mixed up and messed around but those 3 areas need to be good for me to read to the end.

Sure this wasn't dark and Marta warned me about that. However sometimes I need a break from the darkness and it is Summer here after all ;)

 

At 12 May 2008 at 09:38, Blogger Marta

Hi, Amberkatze, thanks for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed my first novel and I hope you will like MIDNIGHT BRUNCH.

Jackie, I wrote this book as a romantic comedy and I was spoofing vampire cliches. So, it's not a vampire book really. It's more about the laughs and mishaps, which has disappointed those who expected a vampire book.

There's actually a subtext in there, with the vamps being metaphors for the "other" in society, but I'm the only one who seems to care about that.

 






Free Website Counter;
Free Website Counter

 Subscribe in a reader





users online