Thursday 1 May 2008
Simon Canderous has a cool sounding power called Psychometry. It is the power to touch an object and see information about its history. While the power sounds like fun it hasn't been great for Simon. It has meant a life of petty crime and failed relationships. It has also meant wearing gloves so he doesn't see something he would rather not see.

Recruited by New York's secret Department of Extrodinary Affairs, Simon is putting his power to good use. Learning the basics of paranormal investigation while getting used to the red tape and office politics he has really gone over to the good side.

When Simon's coffee doesn't spill on to a woman but through her he realises she is a ghost. Irene doesn't know she is dead and Simon decides to track down her killer. But Simon isn't ready for what the case is about to throw at him and he may find himself crushed by a homicidal bookcase if he doesn't watch out.

This was an ok read. I am not jumping for joy about this one but I did finish the book so I hope that says something about it. This is yet again another fresh idea from a new writer in the genre and I am really happy to see another book hitting the shelves that gets away from the normal vampire, witch, werewolve and zombie paranormal.

However where the background stories and characters were good the main plot was not that interesting and slightly confusing. I liked hearing about Simon's power and how he used it to make money and I also found the snippets of info about the Department really cool. This is definitely a series that could go somewhere and I will be looking out for the next in the series.

Labels:

 
posted by Unknown at Thursday, May 01, 2008 |


2 Comments:


At 1 May 2008 at 19:46, Blogger shaunesay

I'm reading this one right now, since I used it for a swap! I'm enjoying it, it's not the best thing I've ever read, but I would read more of them. The feel is kind of a cross between Harry Dresden and Ghostbusters, but Simon just isn't as likeable in my opinion, he's kind of a shmuck, if you know what I mean. I don't know, it's a bit more "cartoony" than the Harry Dresden books. But like I said, I would be fine to read more in the series.

 

At 2 May 2008 at 13:33, Blogger Unknown

He is really Harry Dresden like isn't he? The style also reminded me of Mark Del Franco.

It is great to see more male authors on the paranormal scene though!

 






Free Website Counter;
Free Website Counter

 Subscribe in a reader





users online