Sunday 24 February 2008
I watched Dexter last year and really enjoyed the show. Both seasons were interesting and I liked the cliffhangers and characters. So naturally I wanted to try the books too.

This first book in the series is basically the first half of the first TV season of the show. The 'Ice Truck killer' (named so on the TV version) is born and Dexter feels a need to find out who he is because they seem so alike. With his sister Deb trying to get on the case he has an easy way to get the information he needs to get to know the killer.

After reading the first 90% of the book and finding it slightly boring (because I have seen it all on TV) the book went straight to the end of season 1 (missing out some really good stuff they had on the TV version) and then the book ended confusing me. However the confusion has now turned into eagerness...I need to read the next one to see what happens.

Where as the TV version is based on this book it seems the TV writers took a different approach and the books will indeed have something new in them!

Good writing, storyline and characters I can see why this was made into a TV series and I hope that both the books and TV version have more to offer in the future.

Labels:

 
posted by Unknown at Sunday, February 24, 2008 |


3 Comments:


At 24 February 2008 at 09:14, Anonymous Anonymous

Hey there

Another one we've both read. I think I read this back toward the beginning of last year and found it... OK.

I'd enjoyed the TV series, and actually found the book a let-down on it. I think it was the difference in the way the Dexter's character was treated in the two different media.

In the TV series, I got the impression of a character who was what he was (a serial killer), but because of the "Code of Harry", did his best to be 'one of the good guys' by only allowing himself to go after really bad guys. Somehow, the writers (and, of course, Michael C Hall) managed to show the character as being a serial killer AND really rather sweet (except, obviously, when he wasn't being).

In the book, I found the character much... nastier and more manipulative during the times he wasn't actively doing his serial killer thing on-screen (so to speak).

For example, in the series, I got the impression that he really did care (in his limited own way) for Rita, even if it wasn't a 'normal' relationship. In the book, I got the impression he simply kept her around because it was one more way he could play at normality in the eyes of the outside world.

Heh... possibly it's just that the TV series allowed me to fill in more blanks myself with his character, and I chose to fill them in with things that were at least vaguely familiar to me. The book, by taking me right inside his head (instead of just giving me the odd commentary) doesn't give me that luxury.

Ah well - chacun a son gout ;-)

Blessings



Starfire

 

At 29 February 2008 at 15:59, Anonymous Anonymous

I've just started watching Dexter now that it's come it network TV and I have enjoyed what I've seen of the show so far. I plan on reading the books eventually, but I have heard from a lot of people that the show is way better than the books. I still want to check them out tho.

 

At 1 March 2008 at 07:46, Blogger Unknown

The series is alot better than the book. Although I still want to read them...it is the bookaholic in me ;)

 






Free Website Counter;
Free Website Counter

 Subscribe in a reader





users online